Friday, September 03, 2010

15 Albums

Stephen's tagged me in this meme from Facebook, Like him, I thought I'd cross post here, but with some additional notes. There are some who might think I should hang my head in shame at some of the choices here, and I'm taking my chances that my husband is suitably satisfied with my nursing skills over the past few days that he won't divorce me. I know that for some of you the inclusion of some complete and utter trash alongside some great stuff will physically cause you pain. But, do you know what, when I listen to this stuff, I feel happy and that's all that matters.  

I tend to buy a lot of Greatest Hits type compilations and soundtracks - generally that way I get all the songs I like for a fraction of the cost. I tend to spend any spare money I have on books and DVDs rather than CDs, whereas Bob will head for the record shop and pick up some vinyl.

THE RULES: Don't take too long to think about it. Fifteen albums you've heard that will always stick with you. List the first fifteen you can recall in no more than fifteen minutes. Tag fifteen friends, including me, because I'm interested in seeing what albums my "music-fan-friends" choose. (To do this, go to your Notes tab on your profile page, paste the rules in a new note, cast your fifteen picks, and tag people in the note).

Hits of 76 - the first ever record I bought. The only song I can remember on it is Tina Charles I Love to Love. 

London Town - Wings. I had an enormous crush on Paul McCartney for the second half of the 70s and I loved this album.

Aquarium - Aqua. In the late 90s I had a long commute to work. I used to play this in the car in the morning as it was so happy and frothy that I couldn't fail to wake up.

Madonna - The Immaculate Collection 1990 was a miserable year. We'd just moved to England, I absolutely and utterly hated it. The small consolation was that I loved the music in 1990 which seemed to be dominated by Madonna. This album had all the early stuff along with exciting new stuff like Justify My Love and Vogue.

The Sound of Music soundtrack. Favourite film, favourite songs. You can't go wrong with that.

Welcome to the Beautiful South - for the year we lived in Ayrshire just after we were married, we lived next door to a very nice couple who had a baby who would go to sleep on demand if "You Keep It All In" was played. A good introduction to an excellent band I've liked ever since.

Wicked soundtrack. I love the darkness of this musical and the way the music is almost other worldly. And I love Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth. And Defying Gravity has to be one of the best songs ever.

Diana Princess of Wales Tribute album. I know I'm going to get it for this one, but I grew up with Diana. She had her faults, but she did a lot of good. I was genuinely upset when she died and I bought this. Unfortunately I lot it and haven't yet found myself another copy. The music was beautiful, evocative of the emotions of the time and I loved it. from Aretha Franklin to the Pretenders Hymn to Her, one of my favourite songs ever, to Eric Clapton's Tears in Heaven which I never have been able to listen to without crying to Queen's I want to live forever. 

The Best of Jon and Vangelis - this was the soundtrack in many ways to me leaving home and of all that happeed in subsequent years.Was there ever a more beautiful song than Outside of this, inside of that?

Ol Yellow Eyes is Back - Brent Spiner I love Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I love Brent Spiner, who played Data more. His slightly bonkers Twitter feed will hopefully explain why. He was fabulous in the quirky US comedy Night Court. Anyway, in 1991, he released this album which I still love. And I won't sell, even though it's on Amazon for much more than I paid for it. It took some getting way back then before the internet but it still has pride of place in my CD cabinet. His velvety seductive voice is perfect for songs like Embraceable You  and When I Fall in Love, but maybe not so much for Zing went the strings of my heart - or maybe that's a song that's even too tacky for me to like. Honourable mentions has to go to Patrick Stewart, Jonathan Frakes, Levar Burton and Michael Dorn who did the backing vocals on It's a Sin to Tell a Lie

Kylie - Aphrodite  This is a brand new one which I got for my birthday and is my current music of choice in the car. I just love All the Lovers and I just can't get it out of my head (see, that was deliberate, I'm on fire with the puns today) at the moment.

More Abba Gold   I'd actually originally written down the Mamma Mia soundtrack on the grounds that the song Slipping through my Fingers always makes me cry but I'm onto my second copy of the original More Abba Gold because I wore out the first one. It's the one that has some of the less iconic Abba songs like Lovelight and Cassadra which I think are brilliant. 

Live at Knebworth - Robbie Williams  Robbie, singing all his favourite hits and interacting with the audience. Could there be anything more perfect?

Made in Heaven - Queen The title song and I was born to love you. and It's a Beautiful Day are just fantastic. 

The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac - anything of Fleetwood Mac's reminds me of my friends Paul and Rae. My absolute favourite song of the group's is You Make Lovin' Fun

I'm all misty eyed and nostalgic now. Thanks, Stephen. I really enjoyed writing this one.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails