Sunday, April 17, 2011

So who would go on holiday in the middle of an election?

I am sitting at my sister's kitchen table in Inverness, glass of Rioja in hand while, watching her boyfriend do things with bicycles I never knew was possible.

We have had a fantastic day. Earlier said sis and boyfriend came over to our gorgeous holiday cottage for lunch. We sat outside in the glorious sunshine having a laugh and playing Duck, Duck, Goose. And there was no alcohol involved, honest.

That wasn't the case last night. I was a bit surprised that we should be invited for dinner when they had done a 100 mile cycle to the top of Cairngorm, getting some very weird looks from the skiers. My wee sister had barely been on a bike since childhood & now she's going to cycle from Land's End to John O'Groat's in the Summer for charity.

Some have told me off for going on holiday in the middle of an election campaign. Frankly, I've had enough health issues in the last couple of years to not want to suffer the consequences of an election campaign at full pelt this year. A week away in the restorative peace of the Highlands in the middle of a long campaign is just what I need. It won't be an election free zone, given that we're in Ross-shire where Alan MacRae is defending the seat so I'll spend a couple of days in his office or Christine Jardine's in Inverness.

The cottage where we're staying doesn't have Internet access so my blogging will be dependent on me accessing my sister's wi-fi. That also means that comments won't be published as quickly as normal so please don't waste energy worrying that you've been censored if your comment doesn't appear quickly. There is a more mundane explanation.

SNP Glasgow candidate Anne McLaughlin tweeted me today to tell me that since I'd gone away, we'd gone up 3% in the polls. Maybe I'll stay away till May 5th:-).





- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

cynicalHighlander said...

Most honest LibDems will run away on holiday when self importance comes before the people of Scotland.

George said...

" please don't waste energy worrying that you've been censored if your comment doesn't appear quickly"

Perish the thought ;)

Visiting the beautiful Scottish Highlands don't you wonder what it would be like to have an independent Scotland ?
No more hassle from London. Just Scots looking after Scots ?
No. Thought not.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails