Monday, October 17, 2011

British driver Dan Wheldon killed in Las Vegas

You know how much I love my Formula 1. I'm not, though, blind to its dangers. Twice in the last two years, I've seen literally heart-stopping moments when I've actually screamed. There was Felipe Massa's accident in Hungary in 2009, and that awful moment when Mark Webber went flying after running into the back of Heikki Kovalainen's Lotus. Webber, thankfully, walked away. Massa was out for months.

Around 11 last night, we had a shocking reminder that these things don't always end so well when word  came through that British Indycar driver Dan Wheldon had been killed in an horrific 200 mph plus crash.

I feel so much for his wife, and his two young sons who, at 6 months and 2 years are not going to grow up with any memories of him, really.

I've not followed Indycar racing at all because I just don't have the time to get obsessed with something else. That doesn't stop me thinking of this poor man's loved ones.

Brits on Pole, whose passion is following British racing drivers across all motorsport, have more details here.

What worries me is that some of the drivers expressed safety concerns before the race went ahead. Drivers are by their very nature risk takers. If they are worried about safety, they need to be listened to and their concerns acted upon. They are the experts.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails