Thursday, October 13, 2011

Excitement Central: I'm going to see Paul McCartney in Liverpool!

The very first single I ever bought with my own pocket money was Wings' Mull of Kintyre. It might not be the height of fashion now but in 1977 most of the population were, like me, totally captivated by a beautiful song and video shot in the spectacular and slightly haunting Argyll scenery. 

To this day, it's a song that absolutely comforts me. In fact, Paul McCartney's distinctive voice is likely to do the same, to be honest. I love John Lennon's as well, but he doesn't have the same effect.

I didn't know much about the history of the Beatles - in fact, I thought that Paul McCartney just sang songs like Mull of Kintyre so some of the Wings repertoire and indeed, the B Side to Mull of Kintyre, Girls' School, was a bit of a shock. All a bit grown up for me at that time.

For my 11th birthday, the book of their 1976 US Tour was top of  my birthday list. I actually don't know where it is now. I'm hoping it's still at my parents' somewhere.

I have been a huge McCartney fan ever since Mull of Kintyre - and that fandom extended to Linda, too. I was totally devastated when she died. There was never any chance I'd be able to do the veggie thing, but I admired her passion on the issue.

With all this history, you can imagine my excitement when my gorgeous niece Laura phoned me the other night to say that Paul McCartney was touring this December. She was mad keen to go. I ended up being entrusted with buying the tickets online this morning as she was at work. I was fairly certain she'd kill me if I failed. She never actually said so, but I didn't want to take the risk.  That prospect wasn't as bad, though,  as the thought of her being sad and disappointed if she couldn't go. She was on the phone at 8:30 to make sure I was ready to do my duty. I didn't feel pressured at all.............

Thankfully, though, I refreshed the page just as the tickets became available and have secured 3 for me, Laura and my sister.They cost an arm and a leg - and a few internal organs as well. It will be worth it, though. I just hope the weather doesn't muck things up for us.....

It's going to be a fantastic start to the Festive Season. If Laura gets her way we'll stay at the Hard Days Night Hotel.  I'd love to stay in the Lennon Suite, with its white baby grand piano, but I don't have enough internal organs left for that.

I'm sure it's going to be such a good show. It was lovely to see him so happy on Sunday when he married Nancy Shevell. It's hard to believe he's going to be 70 next year. I have been to precious few concerts in my life but this is a fantastic opportunity and I can't wait............




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails