Friday, February 01, 2013

Doctor Who 30 day fandom challenge - Day 30: How do you become a Doctor Who fan?

Well, we're finally at the end of the 30 day marathon - although I still owe you a gif. I'm sure this won't be the last time I write about Who this year, however, not with the big 50 fast approaching. By the way, if you haven't already been there, go and check out the new BBC 50th anniversary website.

And so to the question? It's a bit weird because I don't think there's any other thing you need to do to call yourself a fan than watch and love the show. I've only watched it on tv - I haven't read all the books, or listened to all the radio stuff from the intervening years between McCoy and Eccleston, but I kind of like that I have that to come when I'm old and infirm.

I suspect the true interpretation of that question is how I became a fan. It only took one episode, the right one - the first episode of Robot. I just loved Sarah Jane and the Fourth Doctor.I wanted to be Sarah Jane and that was pretty much the end of it. Or the beginning. And I never, ever got to watch it at home because my parents don't like it. So I'd hope against hope that they wouldn't arrive to pick me up from my Grandma's (where I went most Saturday afternoons) until it was over. More often than not, they came in the middle or sometimes before it even started. I guess I grew up always wanting more. And then when I did get my own house and my own telly, they cancelled it. And so I wanted more again.

Now I have regular fresh supplies - and I still want more. I love the values, I love the characters, the comedy, the tension and the action. I love the wondering how on earth the writers are going to extricate themselves from the latest cliffhanger.

I've really enjoyed the nostalgia that this challenge has encouraged in me. I have spent many hours on You Tube, watching clips and interviews. On the back of it, I've bought a good few more DVDs to add to the collection.

I am going to enjoy every single moment in the build up to the 50th anniversary in November. From the new series which starts on 30th March to Starfury's Return to the Eleventh Hour with Karen Gillan AND Caitlin Blackwood, Karen's cousin who played young Amy.

So, thanks for sticking with me for the whole 30 days.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails